by: Matt BollmannStaff Writer
The Reds (10-16) welcomed the Chicago Cubs (13-14) to Goodyear, Arizona on Tuesday. It was a pitching matchup of two guys with high expectations this year for their respective ball clubs in Mat Latos for Cincy and Matt Garza for Chicago. It was a game that saw the team lose to the Cubs by the final of 7-4. Now, let’s take a look at the good, the bad, and the notables from the game against the Cubs:
- Brandon Phillips had a good day at the plate going 4-for-5 with two singles and a double.
- Joey Votto went 2-for-4 today with one run scored. That gives him five hits in his last eleven at bats raising his average in that span from .138 up to .225.
- Jay Bruce was 2-for-5 with two runs scored. Although he did have five runners left on base.
- Drew Stubbs was 2-for-5 today with an RBI.
- Scott Rolen went 1-for-3 at the plate with one run scored.
- Chris Heisey went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- Sean Marshall pitched one inning today giving up a hit and striking out one. He did have a wild pitch.
- Kanekoa Texeira pitched two innings giving up two hits and striking out one.
- Mat Latos exited today’s game with a strained left calf. He is listed as day-to-day. If there is any positive to take from it, at least it’s not a serious injury and it did not happen during a possible (and hopefully) run to the World Series.
- Clayton Tanner pitched a third of an inning today giving up four runs (all earned) on four hits. Two of those hits being home runs in the 9th inning.
- The Reds offense was 2-for-14 with runner is scoring position and left fifteen runners on base.
- Joey Votto and Drew Stubbs were both charged with fielding errors.
- The Reds gave up seven runs as a pitching staff on twelve hits.
- Former Red Dave Sappelt made an appearance today going 1-for-2 with that hit being a three run home run in the 9th inning off of Clayton Tanner.
- “I’m alive, I’m fine. I’m not one to talk about it. I’m fine. They looked at it. They iced it. This is just a precaution," said Latos on leaving the game early afterward.
- It was a perfect 75 degrees and sunny for the 4,099 fans in attendance.
- Up next: The Reds host the Angels with Bronson Arroyo (1-2, 7.62) facing off against RHP Dan Haren (2-0, 1.80). The game will be played in Goodyear, Arizona at 4:05 PM EST.
- We are now one week away from the Reds returning to Cincinnati for the Reds vs. Futures game. More importantly, Opening Day is a week from Thursday!
Be sure to follow Matt on Twitter (@MattBollmann).