Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Redlegs Wreck Pirates 8-1
After a 8-1 win over the Pirates (24-25) on Tuesday, the Reds (28-21) moved to seven games over .500 (.571) and increased their lead in the NL Central by 1.5 games. Homer Bailey looked absolutely awesome, pitching a 4 hit, 1 run complete game on 103 pitches.
The Reds have won 17 of their last 27 games (.629) and are one of the hottest teams in baseball right now. Meanwhile, the Cardinals and Brewers have faltered in the month of May giving the Reds considerable momentum.
Here are the Good, the Bad and the Notables from Tuesday's game:
- Those who had concerns over Jay Bruce's slump can breathe easy. The right fielder had 3 hits in 4 at bats, driving in two runs and crossing the plate three times.
- The Reds did stong, hitting .500 on the day with runners in scoring position.
- Homer Bailey looked like the unstoppable power pitcher he projected to be long ago in the minors and gave one of the best bullpens in all of baseball an unscheduled day off. He improves to 4-3 with a 3.73 ERA. The #5 starter leads the Reds with an astonishing 8 quality starts, a stat his record doesn't reflect.
- Todd Frazier capped off a memorable day by going 2 for 3 with an RBI. He's now batting .278
- Brandon Phillips also got two hits, but his came in 4 at bats, driving in an RBI and also having a batting average of .278
- Joey Votto continues to lead all of baseball with 22 doubles. He's on pace to hit 72 doubles. The Major League record is 67, set by Earl Webb for the Boston Red Sox in 1931.
- Not much bad for today...although the only Reds starters to not have a hit were Devin Mesoraco and Zach Cozart. The duo went 0-7. Mesoraco's average drops to .209, Cozarts at .235
- Rainy conditions in Pittsburgh delayed the game by two hours. First pitch was at 9:00 pm
- Only 12,077 showed up at PNC Park to watch this inter-division rivalry.
- The Reds meet the Pirates for the final game of this three game series tomorrow night. Johnny Cueto (5-2 2.53) faces off against AJ Burnett (3-2 4.19). First pitch is at 7:05 pm.
- After a Thursday off, the Reds head to Houston for a three game series against the Houston Astros (22-27)