Happy Saturday, folks! The Redlegs are currently hosting the Washington Nationals this weekend and what better way to pre-game for the action than reading up on some Reds-related links and notes?
- It's perhaps the oldest, non-working trick in the game of baseball -- the ole' first-and-third pickoff move. It involves a right-handed pitcher faking a throw over to third base and subsequently whipping around and firing a pickoff attempt to first. And it sounds like we may never see that play (legally) again after this season. LINK.
- Although some Reds fans are ready to give up on Drew Stubbs, this writer from the Bleacher Report isn't. Read his reasoning here.
- Speaking of the BR, site contributor Joshua Ramsey offers up more Reds reading material with "10 Bold Predictions for May".
- Joey Votto isn't the only bobblehead the Reds are giving away this month. Fans who purchase full-price tickets to the Reds HOF & Museum are eligible for a free George Foster bobble on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays during May (while supplies last). LINK.
- While we're still on the topic of Votto (sort of), check out this good read from MLB.com's Mark Sheldon about Votto taking up Spanish to better communicate with his teammates.
- The phenomonal job being done by the Cincinnati bullpen isn't going unnoticed. Illya Harrell breaks down the success and chemistry of the NL's top bullpen in this piece.
- Residents of Lexington, KY have a chance to purchase tickets at a discounted price this month. Here's the deal: the Reds have scheduled Lexington Community Night for Saturday, May 26 when Cincy hosts the Rockies at 7:15pm ET. Follow this link for more details.
|The Mother's Day lumber is ready|
- CBSSports.com released it's weekly MLB Power Rankings on Wednesday. The Reds moved up one spot to 12th from the prior week. See where the 29 other MLB teams landed by visiting this link.
- Radio and TV ratings are apparently up this season for the Reds, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. That's really good news for future media negotiation rights, folks.
- Mat Latos is 3-1 with a 2.43 ERA in five career starts against WSH. The right-hander gets the ball on Saturday after coming off a previous outing in which he fanned a career-high 11 batters.
- Votto's next home run while playing 1B will be his 118th, snapping a tie with Sean Casey and moving him alone into fourth place on the club's all-time list for homers by a first baseman.
- Friday's affair against the Nationals kicked-off a stretch of 14-straight games versus teams with winning records. The Reds won't play another team with a losing record until May 25th when they host Colorado. Furthermore, their next off-day won't come until Thursday, May 31st. Time to grind.
- The featured food item at Mr. Red's Smokehouse this weekend is a Presidential Burger. Yum, yum.
- This mini homestand's $8 Kroger Meal Deal includes: A juicy hot dog, a ice-cold 16 oz. Coke product, a bag of chips of your choosing and a bag of Diamond Foods Kettle Chips.
- Oh, and one last thing. The 19-year old baseball prodigy known as Bryce Harper is in town this weekend. Be sure to make your way to GABP before the series concludes on Sunday.