The Reds and Indians faced off in the first game of a three game series in the battle of the Ohio Cup. After a pretty devastating loss on Sunday night in a game that looked like the guys should have won against the Tigers it was a perfect game for Johnny Cueto to pitch in. Cueto had a brilliant performance in a 7-1 victory over the Indians.
Let's see how the game unfolded with the good, the bad and the notables from the Tuesday night matchup.
- Johnny Cueto pitched a CG allowing one run on six hits while striking out seven.
- Wilson Valdez had a 3-for-5 night at the plate with an RBI and a run scored.
- Joey Votto. Does he ever have a bad game? Votto had a 2-for-4 night at the plate with a two run HR followed by an RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Brandon Phillips and Chris Heisey each had two hits. Heisey added a pair of runs scored.
- The offense banged out a total of 13 hits. All the starters had a hit except for Jay Bruce.
- The only bad to take from tonights game is Jay Bruce going 0-for-4 at the plate. He did add an RBI on a bases loaded sacrifice fly.
- Rookie Zack Cozart sat out tonights game with flu-like symptoms. There are a number of other guys on the team that have had flu-like symptoms as well with Votto being one of those guys.
- The Reds are now 4-3 in interleague play after the victory.
- With the victory the Reds can now move to one game ahead of the Pirates with a Pirates loss.
- Up next: Game two of a three game series against the Cleveland Indians will see
- Mike Leake is being scratched from his start due to flu-like symptoms.