|This picture pretty much summarizes the past week|
After a great outing by Mike Leake and 8th inning heroics by Joey Votto, the Reds (39-32) lost to the Twins (29-42) on a two run Willingham homer in the 9th. Mike Leake got a hit, a sacrifice and pitched 8 innings of 2 run baseball, striking out five and walking zero. His ERA comes down to 4.46, and his batting average improved to .333. But that wasn't enough for the Reds to finish up Interleague play with a win.
Brandon Phillips showed off his usual defensive prowess with a few amazing players, including a barehanded grab and quick throw to the plate that stopped a runner from scoring.
- Devin Mesoraco managed to get a pair of hits and score but also struck out once. His average is still below .210
- Wilson Valdez also had a pair of hits and an RBI.
- Despite striking out in his first two appearances, Joey Votto came back with a massive home run in the 8th inning that allowed the Reds to take a very shortlived lead.
- Mike Leake is a beast. His 4.46 ERA does not do justice to how good of a pitcher he is. He really deserved the win today.
- Interleague Play is finally over.
- Aroldis Chapman came in for a save, but managed to give away the game on a two run homer by Josh Willingham.
- Chris Heisey, Brandon Phillips and Todd Frazier all managed to go hitless.
- Thirteen players were left on base today.
-The Reds are now only a half game up on the Pirates for control of the NL Central.
- 34,513 showed up for today's game at Great American. A healthy crowd for the first place Redlegs
- It was a sunny 90 degree day today at first pitch with very little wind.
- This concludes the Reds three game series against the Twins and finishes up interleague play. The next opportunity the Reds will have to face an American League team would be the World Series.
- Baseball continues tomorrow at Great American Ballpark with the Reds facing division rival and 4th place Milwaukee Brewers. Tomorrow's game starts at 7:10 pm. Mat Latos (5-2 5.20) will take on Yovani Gallardo (6-5 4.22)