Let's take a look at how the game unfolded with the good, the bad, and the notables in the teams win:
- Leake pitched a great game and really only had one mistake pitch giving up a 2 run HR to Justin Maxwell. Leake had a solid 8 innings pitched giving up only those two runs while striking out six and walking one. Leake earned the victory due to the late game heroics.
- Drew Stubbs had the big blow late against Cordero as he hit a 2 run go ahead HR to give the team a 3-2 lead. Stubbs also added two other hits and ended the night 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Xavier Paul got the start in LF tonight and had a great night at the plate going 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Brandon Phillips also continued his hot hitting with two hits tonight in four plate appearances.
- Aroldis Chapman notched his 18th save of the season striking out the side in the 9th.
- Devin Mesoraco had a rough night at the plate going 0-for-3 and being lifted for a pinch hitter in the 8th inning.
- The team was 2-for-12 with RISP with 12 left on base.
- Scott Rolen had a rare error and Drew Stubbs had a caught stealing.
- During the game Astros pitcher Wandy Rodriguez was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a trio of prospects.
- Speaking of the Pirates, they lost 5-1 to the Cubbies to fall 2.5 GB of the Redlegs for first place.
- The Reds have now won six in a row and 13 of their past 15 ball games.
- The victory ensures the Reds of yet another series victory, and on the road at that.
- Cordero pitched against his former club for the first time since departing the Reds. He took the loss.
- Up next: The Redlegs look to sweep the Astros tomorrow in the final game of a three game set as Homer Bailey takes the ball for the Reds matched up against righty Bud Norris in an 8:05pm EST start.