Two NL Central foes hook up this weekend at Great American Ball Park when the Reds (52-40) play host to the Milwaukee Brewers (44-47). The series will mark the second trip by the Brew Crew to Cincinnati this season and the last until they roll into the Queen City again near the end of September.
Ron Roenicke's team strolls into town as winners of four of their first six since the All-Star Break and look to make a second-half surge toward a Wild Card spot. Meanwhile, Dusty Baker and the Joey Votto-less Reds have been even hotter lately having emerged victorious in eight of their last ten. It's a battle of first place versus fourth place and it all gets underway beginning tonight at 7:10et.
Here's a brief preview of this weekend's action including game times, pitching probables, and other noteworthy tidbits.
Homer Bailey (8-6, 3.93) vs Marco Estrada (0-3, 4.13)
- Bailey is 3-0 with a 1.99 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in July. He's winless (0-5) with a 6.50 ERA in 10 career starts against the Brewers.
- Estrada is still looking for his first win of the season in what will be his 10th start.
Bronson Arroyo (4-6, 4.03) vs Yovani Gallardo (8-6, 3.59)
- Arroyo is 12-8 with a 3.70 ERA in 23 lifetime starts vs MIL.
- The Brewers have won six of the last seven games in which Gallardo has started. He is 4-4 with a 4.95 ERA in 13 career starts vs CIN (2-2 at GABP).
- The first 20,000 fans through the gates receive a free Reds Soft-Sided Cooler, courtesy of Hebrew National.
Johnny Cueto (11-5, 2.29) Mike Fiers (3-3, 2.01)
- Cueto currently ranks second among all league pitchers in ERA 2.28.
- The Reds lead the NL in winning percentage during the day at .676 (23-11).
+ CIN leads the season series over MIL, 4-2. CIN also leads the all-time series 121-108-1.
+ The Reds have won 14 of the previous 20 matchups between the two at GABP.
+ The Brewers enter the series 7.5 GB of the division leading Reds in the NL Central standings.
+ Milwaukee is tied for the league lead in homers (106).
+ Cincy leads all NL teams in fielding percentage (.986) and fewest errors committed (46).
+ Brewers LF Ryan Braun enters the weekend tops in the NL in homers (26) and second in RBI (65).