Here is the Good, Bad, and Notables.
- Strong pitching has been the key to this years success. Today was another perfect example of what a team can do with a strong starting performance and one of the best bullpens in the entire league. -Bronson Arroyo threw 8 strong innings allowing only 5 hits and 2 runs.
-Aroldis Chapman came in and got the save as usual. He pitched 1 inning and struck out 2. Once again many pitches were clocked at 100+ mph, even hitting 103!
- With the Reds down 2-1, Ryan Ludwick hit a 2-run double to give the Reds the lead and the opportunity for the win, with Chapman in the bullpen.
- Todd Frazier had an RBI with 2 hits.
- Wilson Valdez added another run in the 8th inning.
-Every starting position player had a hit
- The offense struggled off of former teammate Travis Wood. Wood went 7 innings with 8 strikeouts before the bullpen blew the save for the Cubs
-The Reds left 9 runners on base.
- The report about Joey Votto needing another clean up surgery was unexpected. As previously it was hoped he would return early next week but now will be out another 10 days or so
- The Reds have now won 10 games in a row which were played on Saturdays.
- The Reds hold a 4.5 game lead in the Central Division. The Pirates have lost 3 in a row. Let's see if they hang around much longer.
-Johnny Cueto (14-6, 2.48 ERA) faces Brooks Raley (0-1, 15.75 ERA) in tomorrows game.