However, there is one glaring piece that needs to be addressed--albeit a vast amount a time to do so.
Cincinnati needs a leadoff hitter. And unlike finding a bat that can play left field or a closer, they will be forced to look for outside help.
There are different avenues the front office can take to fill the hole. There are still free agents like Michael Bourn who are demanding top dollar for his services. There are players like Justin Upton and Dexter Folwer who are demanding top trade value for theirs.
The Reds are attempting to make a move that will blossom their franchise into legitimate World Series contenders without giving up its future. A predicament that many small market teams must face to compete.
As far as I can tell there are several routs the Reds can take to land a center fielder and lead off hitter.
- Dexter Fowler- Will demand mostly top prospects
- Justin Upton- Will demand mostly top prospects.
- Michael Bourn- Will demand top dollar and likely will cost too much
- Jacoby Ellsbury- Only one year on contract, must trade for him
- Coco Crisp- Only one year on contract, must trade for him
- Drew Stubbs- Free, but had major struggles last year and not a true clean up hitter (unbelievably)
- Other- perhaps I am missing one or two (or ten?).
I have my own opinions, and I will write on them in the near future. But for now I want to hear yours. Who do you think the Reds should obtain. Why do you feel this way?
Go ahead and write in the comment section what your 'wish' is, and then put down what option you think the Reds will actually take.
This should be fun.