Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Reds part ways with Xavier Paul


Xavier Paul is no longer a member of the Reds after the team decided against tendering him a contract before Monday's deadline.

Teams had until 11:59 pm on Monday to tender contracts to all of their unsigned players. Players who are not offered contracts are effectively released and become free agents.

The move to cut ties with Paul makes room on the 40-man roster for southpaw Manny Parra. Parra recently signed a free agent agreement with Cincinnati to the tune of two years and $5.5 million.

Another player who was non-tendered by the Reds is outfielder Derrick Robinson. However, this move was totally expected since the rookie was already designated for assignment last week to open up a spot for free agent signee Skip Schumaker.

The remaining arbitration eligible players who reportedly did receive contract offers include Homer Bailey, Aroldis Chapman, Mike Leake, Sam LeCure, Alfredo Simon, Chris Heisey, and Ryan Hanigan. An official announcement from the team is expected some time on Tuesday.

Eligible players have until Jan. 14 to file their arbitration figure. On Jan. 17, the salary figures are exchanged between clubs and players, with hearings to commence from Feb. 1-20.

It should be noted that the Reds haven't had to go to the arbitration table against one of their players since winning a case versus Chris Reitsma in 2004.

3 comments:

thewritersjourney said...

His name is still listed among the players to appear at Redsfest this weekend. Has the list just not been updated?

Jimmi Adair said...

List probably just hasn't been updated. But Paul and Reds could still work out a free agent deal before the weekend. It's unlikely but not unheard of. Reds resigned Kris Negron and Corky Miller after releasing them last year.

thewritersjourney said...

Just looked at the list again, he has been removed.

David Holmberg was added tonight, though. Good job to the Reds PR staff on working that out so quickly.